Curious facts about Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra
Dismentling some buildings of Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra
Did you know that some buildings of Kyiv-Pechersk Monastery, primarily used for economic purposes, were dismantled in the early 1930’s at the request of Lavra’s State Cultural and Historical Preserve?
In order to obtain funds for the urgent overhaul of architectural monuments and finance the research, the administration of the All-Ukrainian Museum Town «received permission to dismantle some dilapidated buildings, which were of no historical value, spoiled the appearance of the Preserve, and threatened to fall and cause damage to its residents. The permission was given in late 1929.
Among the constructions to be dismentled there were: a half-ruined teahouse (located at the territory of Hostynny Dvir and used for worships), a small and abandoned two-story workshop (situated in the Upper Lavra territory and used to make silver products), and the brick wall in the backyard of the economic courtyard that covered Mazepa Walls.
Captions to the illustrations:
1. Dismentling the brick wall of Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra economic courtyard. Early 1930s (From the Fund collection of the National Preserve “Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra”, inv. № KPL-N-3668)